Activities and Events
Get involved in the Commemoration of the War of 1812
Explore the links below for more information on how you can participate in the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812.
Government of Canada Ongoing Activities
- Many activities are taking place at Parks Canada national historic sites.
- Until May 2015, the Canadian War Museum presents the travelling version of 1812, a special exhibition that examines the conflict from the perspective of each of the four key participants: Canadians (including Canadian First Peoples), Americans, the British and Native Americans. An online version is also available.
- View Faces of 1812, a virtual exhibition presented by Library and Archives Canada, highlighting some of the rare portraits and archival documents presented in the exhibition Faces of 1812 on display at the Canadian War Museum. This virtual exhibition also includes additional works that highlight the War of 1812.
- Visit the Aboriginal Contributions to the War of 1812 exhibit presented by Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada.
- Are you a stamp collector? Visit Canada Post to get stamps depicting War of 1812 military allies Chief Tecumseh and Major-General Isaac Brock.
- Don't miss out on the Royal Canadian Mint's collectible coins commemorating this key moment in Canadian history.
- Royal Canadian Naval ships are being deployed to Canadian and United States ports in the Great Lakes throughout the 2012-2015 War of 1812 commemorative period.
Regional Organizations websites that offer a wealth of information about planned activities, are as follows:
- Niagara War of 1812 Bicentennial Legacy Council
- St. Lawrence 1812 Bicentennial Alliance
- City of Toronto
- Western Corridor War of 1812 Bicentennial Alliance
- Southern Georgian Bay War of 1812 Bicentennial Committee
- War of 1812 Southwestern Ontario Region
- War of 1812 Algoma Region
- Lacolle Municipality
- Government of New Brunswick
Find out here about events being held by community organizations. This list is not exhaustive, activities and events may be added as they are brought to our attention. Should you wish to submit an event happening in a Canadian community, please send us an email including a link to the website.
- Friends of Fort George
- Odyssey Showcase
- Agnes Etherington Art Centre
- Town of Fort Erie
- Niagara Historical Society Museum
- Niagara-on-the-Lake Bicentennial Committee
- Fort William Historical Park
- Museum of Health Care at Kingston
- Scout Brigade of Fort George
- Date modified: